Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
| |
| | |

8Bitdo Official Forum

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
View: 5062|Reply: 17

[Course] Firmware Upgrade Guide & FAQ (For New Users)

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-02-03 02:00:01
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Wolf26pack at 2016-02-03 14:09

Firmware Upgrade & FAQ

Hello and Welcome to the 8bitdo Firmware Guide & FAQ . I'm writing this because a lot of new users (Including myself at one point) attempt to upgrade there firmware and end up semi bricking our controllers in the process. To avoid wasted time in having to send back the controller to the dealer you bought it from I want to help you get the controller you bought working... so on to the instructions

Instructions FC30/NES30/SNES30/SFC30

Step 1. Download the latest Firmware from the website

FC30 Firmware
NES30 Firmware
SNES30 Firmware
SFC30 Firmware

Download this file to somewhere you will remember i.e. "My Documents, Downloads, My Desktop"  and extract & unzip the file. Once you have extracted the file you will see these files...

"Windows"
"MacOS"
"bluetooth_firmware_Vxxx.dat"

depending on your operating system, you will click on Windows or MacOS, inside you will find the "8bitdo Update Application, start the application and minimize it, we will come back to it in a few steps.

Step 2. Connect the USB Cable to your Computer

Connect the included USB Cable to you PC or Mac (without the controller on the other end)

Step 3. Make Sure Your Controller is Properly Charged

Let your controller Charge for 2 hours before you attempt the firmware update. Your Controller's Green light should blink while it's charging and when it's fully charged it will stop blinking.

Step 4. Turn on your FC30/NES30/SNES30/SFC30 in Firmware Update Mode

With the Controller off Hold START+L+R buttons till the Blue & Green lights on the top of your controller start blinking

Step 5. Connect the Controller to your Computer

Connect the Controller to the Computer on the other end of the USB Port & wait for your computer to recognize the controller.

Step 6. Go back to the 8bitdo Application

Now it's time to go back to the 8bitdo Application you minimized earlier, at this point you should see this...

8bitdo Application

8bitdo Application

hopefully with the "USB Update" button lit up and available. If it is click on it and find that file labeled
"bluetooth_firmware_Vxxx.dat" that is your firmware update file. Now when you first click on it, it will tell you something like "Current Firmware & Firmware update are 2.65 & 2.65. Making you think that you don't need to update your controller. DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR CONTROLLER. Allow it to continue to upload the firmware on your controller again, if you unplug it prematurely you will semi-brick your controller. No worries though if you do, you just have to start from step 1 again and reload the firmware on the controller.

Step 7. Enjoy your new Controller!!

At this point you should be able to simply turn on your controller by holding Start or whatever function you would like to Start your controller in.

Instructions FC30 PRO/NES30 PRO

Pretty much the same instructions with some slight changes...

Step 1. Download the latest Firmware from the website

FCPRO30 Firmware
FC30PRO Extended Firmware
NESPRO30 Firmware
NESPRO30 Extended Firmware

Download this file to somewhere you will remember i.e. "My Documents, Downloads, My Desktop"  and extract & unzip the file. Once you have extracted the file you will see these files...

"Windows"
"MacOS"
"bluetooth_firmware_Vxxx.dat"

depending on your operating system, you will click on Windows or MacOS, inside you will find the "8bitdo Update Application, start the application and minimize it, we will come back to it in a few steps.

Step 2. Connect the USB Cable to your Computer

Connect the included USB Cable to you PC or Mac (without the controller on the other end)

Step 3. Make Sure Your Controller is Properly Charged

Let your controller Charge for 2 hours before you attempt the firmware update. Your Controller's Green light should blink while it's charging and when it's fully charged it will stop blinking.

Step 4. Turn on your FC30PRO/NES30PRO in Firmware Update Mode

Hold down the Power button and the Sync button until the LED's start to blink Yellow.

Power & Sync Button

Power & Sync Button

Step 5. Connect the Controller to your Computer

Connect the Controller to the Computer on the other end of the USB Port & wait for your computer to recognize the controller.

Step 6. Go back to the 8bitdo Application

Now it's time to go back to the 8bitdo Application you minimized earlier, at this point you should see this...

hopefully with the "USB Update" button lit up and available. If it is click on it and find that file labeled "bluetooth_firmware_Vxxx.dat" that is your firmware update file. Now when you first click on it, it will tell you something like "Current Firmware & Firmware update are 2.65 & 2.65. Making you think that you don't need to update your controller. DO NOT UNPLUG YOUR CONTROLLER. Allow it to continue to upload the firmware on your controller again, if you unplug it prematurely you will semi-brick your controller. No worries though if you do, you just have to start from step 1 again and reload the firmware on the controller.

Step 7. Enjoy your new Controller!!

At this point you should be able to simply turn on your controller by holding Start or whatever function you would like to Start your controller in.

FAQ Coming Soon...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-12-02 10:42:33
| Show all posts
Read this.  It worked for me.  I can't believe 8bitdo hasn't fixed this issue yet.

http://forum.8bitdo.com/thread-1598-1-3.html
Reply Support 2 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-02-11 21:48:22
| Show all posts
thank you for this! may I also suggest adding one for the arcade joystick.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-02-12 04:17:45
| Show all posts
What if the USB Update box is still grayed out, even after following all these directions?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-02-12 17:54:44
| Show all posts
podmax 2016-02-11 21:48
thank you for this! may I also suggest adding one for the arcade joystick.

I will try and add a section for the Joystick, I mainly did it for the controllers I have so I'm familiar with the process. I don't own the Joystick but will look through the instructions and see what I can add so that these instructions are more complete.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-02-12 17:57:18
| Show all posts
tastiger 2016-02-12 04:17
What if the USB Update box is still grayed out, even after following all these directions?

It shouldn't be grayed out, if you went step by step. Please try again if it doesn't work I'd like to try it with you. Just gotta find a good time when we are both online. BTW what controller is it for?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-09-29 19:01:25
| Show all posts
Hello,

My SNES30 arrived in the mail yesterday and I'm trying to get the latest firmware installed but like others, the "USB Update" button stays grayed out.  Can I please get some help, thank you!

FYI, I followed your instructions very carefully several times and still, the button stays grayed.

Ben

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time: 2016-10-08 00:39:14
| Show all posts
Ben 2016-09-29 19:01
Hello,

My SNES30 arrived in the mail yesterday and I'm trying to get the latest firmware installed  ...

For FC30/NES30/SFC30/SNES30,
hold down L+R+START to enter upgrade mode,
or hold down L+R, then connect to PC via USB cable to enter upgrade mode.

After enter upgrade mode, connect to PC via USB,
then go to "Device Manager" ->"Human Interface Devices",
Could you see a new added device?

On my WIN10 PC, I can see

upgrade mode device.png

On your PC, maybe it has different name, but the most important thing is that it must have a new added device.
If you can't see a new added device when you plug in your PC, you need to check your PC, include USB cable or USB Port or operation system.

On another case, although the controller could be recognized by PC, but not the HID device, the issue comes from the operation system and drivers.

If a new added HID device could be recognized by PC, but the upgrade software can't detect it, and the "USB Update" button keeps gray, maybe the issue comes from the software, I need these detailed information, these infomation can help us to find the root reason and improve the upgrade software.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-11-16 18:07:58
| Show all posts
Hi -

I recently got a NES30 Pro and cannot get it to enter firmware upgrade mode.  I was able to successfully pair it with my Raspberry Pi, but when I enter Retroarch the buttons are mixed up and do not work properly.  After some googling, I found that it was a relatively common problem and the recommended solution was to add the 1.68 firmware to the controller.  

Reading through the instructions, it says to enter firmware update mode I need to hold the power and pairing buttons (bottom of the NES30 Pro controller) from a powered off state to enter Firmware upgrade mode.  No matter what I try, I cannot get it to enter this mode - the lights never flash yellow.  I see the teal -> flashing blue when I power it on, the yellow when I power it off, the violet color when I hold the sync button, and the flashing green when it's charging.  

I'd really like to use this controller as it's fantastic build quality, but if the buttons don't work, I'll need to return it.  Is there some trick I'm over looking?  Again, I'm using the 8Bitdo NES30 Pro controller.  

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-11-17 06:52:21
| Show all posts
Hi, I have a few days ago the snes30 manage to connect to the PC and mobile without problems, however I do not manage to use it with nintendo wii, update the version of formware and I did not have success either, I have seen in the forums that when returning to previous versions of Firmware the function improves, however I have not seen anywhere that explain how to perform the change of firmware to an earlier version, since wanting to modify it with the application tells me that the version I want to update is earlier than the one that already has the control.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-11-17 06:54:17
| Show all posts
Hi, I have a few days ago the snes30 manage to connect to the PC and mobile without problems, however I do not manage to use it with nintendo wii, update the version of formware and I did not have success either, I have seen in the forums that when returning to previous versions of Firmware the function improves, however I have not seen anywhere that explain how to perform the change of firmware to an earlier version, since wanting to modify it with the application tells me that the version I want to update is earlier than the one that already has the control.

Thank you very much for your comments.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archive|Mobile|Dark room|8bitdo.com  

2017-01-22 04:17 GMT-8 , Processed in 0.104637 sec., 19 queries .