Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
| |
| | |

8Bitdo Official Forum

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
View: 3024|Reply: 30

NES30 Pro incorrect android button mapping

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-01-16 07:03:40
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by _g3nki at 2016-01-16 07:26

First of all, I must say that I truly love the NES30 Pro controller. But I would like to adress two serious issues with it.
First, Mode 1 on android is mapped exactly the same way as displayed on the controller (with other words - the nintendo layout). The problem with this is that it is the total opposite of the convention on android (A is B and X is Y and vice versa). This is no problem when you play emulators as you can remap the controller. However, as it goes against the convention on android, many games which you can't remap the buttons suffer a lot. The correct layout would be "android button A" assigned to "B" on the controller, and "android button X" assigned to "Y" on the controller. Is this possible to fix in future firmware updates?

Secondly, is it technically possible to use the controller as xinput on bluetooth? and if it is possible, will it be done? it's such a shame that you need to connect the controller with cable for xinput.

With these issues fixed this would, without a doubt, become one of my favourite controller!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time: 2016-07-26 23:06:11
| Show all posts
akaSM 2016-07-26 12:57
This is what I wanted to hear ever since I noticed the buttons thing. I hope it gets posted into t ...

The firmware of swap A&B and X&Y for Pro controller has been posted into the Beta Firmware thread.

8Bitdo's Beta Version Of Firmware & App For Test
Reply Support 2 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-05-10 09:16:47
| Show all posts
Edited by Jeremy at 2016-05-10 09:21
8Bitboy 2016-05-06 23:22
XInput was customized by Microsoft.

It was only recognized as USB device.

This one is Bluetooth and Xinput: https://steelseries.com/gaming-c ... windows-and-android

See: https://youtu.be/2aptI6trWKI?t=200

However back to subject here, why are those buttons swapped like that? I don't know any software on PC or Android that needs them swapped. Please unswap them, or make a new mode with them unswapped.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-01-27 10:13:58
| Show all posts
_g3nki 2016-01-18 02:06
Thank you so much for your kind reply 8Bitboy.

I understand what you mean about the confusion. Esp ...

I agree with _g3nki.

While I understand wanting the button letters to match up, it goes against the intended button configuration that Android has set up. A button should clearly be on the bottom, B button on the right, X button on the left, and Y button on the top. This is purely for functional reasons. When developers are coding their games for Android, they expect the buttons to be in these positions and that's where they should be for the player.

I like the alternative of having two firmwares, although I could understand not wanting the segmentation. Maybe simply replace the PS3 mode with an 'Android TV' mode which has the configuration made to have the same button layout and placement as the standard.

It's the same reason you guys use the bottom button for X in PS3 mode regardless of what the button says physically.... it makes sense and it's the way the controller is supposed to be. Thank you for reading. Also please fix the analog stick deadzone! D;

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-07-21 21:17:49
| Show all posts
Hey all,

I've been working on this for a while, pushing 8bitdo on this pretty hard and I've got some good news!

They've sent me a new Beta firmware that has the X/Y and A/B buttons swapped!

I installed it on my NES30 Pro and can confirm everything works as you'd hoped.

According to the changelog, it's listed as Firmware v1.70 Beta 6.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
 Author| Post time: 2016-01-18 02:06:06
| Show all posts
Edited by _g3nki at 2016-01-19 01:20
8Bitboy 2016-01-17 18:43
We design the controller's layout of NES30 Pro as the Nintendo layout, so when press the key A it se ...

Thank you so much for your kind reply 8Bitboy.

I understand what you mean about the confusion. Especially during the mapping process in i.e. emulators. Don't get me wrong, I am very sincere while writing this. The NES30 Pro and FC30Pro are really really good controllers, no doubt about that, solid quality, great feel and very functional! however it does not follow the guidelines for an Android TV compatible controller. There are two problems with this, first, Android TV controllers are becomming the standard on the OS. The NES30 Pro and FC30Pro won't work with all games as long as the developers are not activly working on making their game compatible with non-android-tv-controllers. Second issue is the button mapping. As a game developer I strongly believe that 8Bitdo should map the keys the other way around on android. I am currently creating a game for both Android and IOS and as a developer I will always expect the buttons to be located on the same pace as on the conventional controller, no matter what letter or symbol is defined on the controller. Many games, even the most popular games, show screenshots of controllers with the placement of the input, without letters or symbols (Asphalt 8 is one example where the 8bitdo controller doesn't work as intended by game developers). When I play first person shooters, like Half Life 2, I activate the flashlight instead of using reload button, which can be devestating.

I even needed to remap my controller for snes and nes emulators because it did not follow the android convention. Otherwise it would work out of the box. Sure, I get that it can be confusing during the mapping-process and if you look at the controller. But to be perfectly honest, if everybody did according to the guidelines. mapping wouldn't even be needed unless developers wanted to give this freedom to the players. The nintendo layout of the buttons should be seen as "decorative" rather than a functional hazard.

To summarize: I strongly believe, as well as google, that "button location" is much more important on android than the letters/symbols on the controller because of the open hardware eco system that android has. Most developers don't even use the letters today, instead they show the location of buttons during tutorials in order to cover all kind of controllers. Even Google have guidelines for this to game developers. This is a convention which I think 8bitdo really should not go against. Or at least offer a firmware that has the correct mapping, and hopefully one that makes the controller fully compatible with android-tv devices (which is starting to become a platform standard).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-03-30 15:03:11
| Show all posts
First, Mode 1 on android is mapped exactly the same way as displayed on the controller (with other words - the nintendo layout). The problem with this is that it is the total opposite of the convention on android (A is B and X is Y and vice versa).

_g3nki is exactly correct. It doesn't matter what the letters on the buttons are, on most games the layout needs to be correct for the gameplay (ignoring the letters). This is especially important to many customers using the Samsung GearVR (made with Oculus).

I agree a new mode should be made that simply swaps the A/X and B/Y buttons.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time: 2016-01-17 18:43:16
| Show all posts
We design the controller's layout of NES30 Pro as the Nintendo layout, so when press the key A it sends the key A function, when  press the key X it sends the key X function, layout and key functions are the same. If possible, you could use remapping tools ( Such as XPad, '8bitdo_GamePad' ).

If we swap the functions, when press the key A it sends the key B function, when  press the key X it sends the key Y function, it would make some users confuse. On the other hand, for some games your situations encountered are still exist.

The wireless connection of XBox 360 is encrypted, now we can't emulate it. So our controllers can't do the Bluetooth connection as xinput.

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-01-26 13:48:37
| Show all posts
Edited by aznmode at 2016-01-26 13:53

I just received mine and I agree with g3nki.  Using the NES30 I have to adjust and have to remember the different button arrangement so it gets confusing after a while because I am accustomed to my Moga and Nvidia shield controllers (TV and tablet).   Which all have the same button placements.  Almost all controllers I see online follows the same button layout now and I assumed this one was the same.  That was my mistake.  But if it can be fixed I would love to keep this controller.  My friend was about to buy one also but after learning that the button placement is different than our Moga he decided not to buy it.  So it's hard to recommend this to my friends.  Other than that, I love the design and size of it.  

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time: 2016-01-29 01:09:15
| Show all posts
Also please fix the analog stick deadzone!

The developer is trying to improve the controller about deadzone.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-01-31 19:54:14
| Show all posts
The mapping issue is not just a problem with Android. They are mapped incorrectly for the Nintendo Wii U pro as well.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time: 2016-02-01 18:42:15
| Show all posts
TheYar 2016-01-31 19:54
The mapping issue is not just a problem with Android. They are mapped incorrectly for the Nintendo W ...

About the Nintendo Wii U Pro incorrect  mapping, can you describe it specifically?

It's the best if you can attach the picture.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-03-31 12:09:41
| Show all posts
Talking about layouts, why are button 3 and 6 not mapped to anything?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archive|Mobile|Dark room|8bitdo.com  

2017-03-22 16:24 GMT-8 , Processed in 0.068908 sec., 16 queries .