Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
| |
| | |

8Bitdo Official Forum

Forgot password?
 Register
Search
View: 8161|Reply: 34

8Bitdo D-Pad PCB Contacts Issue

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2015-07-10 16:20:58
| Show all posts |Read mode
Edited by Link83 at 2015-07-12 16:30

Hi,
First I would just like to say that the 8Bitdo Gamepads are fantastic, and even with the following issue I would still recommend them. I am only making this thread in the hope that the 8Bitdo designers might be able to update their PCB designs.

I read some people found the 8Bitdo Gamepad D-Pad to be too sensitive and register diagonal inputs too easily when compared to an original Nintendo controller. You can read more about these issues half way through this review:-
https://aaltomies.wordpress.com/ ... o-nes30-controller/
I decided to still purchase a SFC30 Gamepad, and can confirm this D-Pad issue still exists.

I took apart the controller to look at the D-Pad to see how it compares to the original Nintendo D-Pad, and I found that the PCB contacts on the 8Bitdo Gamepad are a different shape. Here is a picture showing the D-Pad contacts for Nintendo, Sega and 8Bitdo controllers, hopefully you can see the different D-Pad contact shapes:-

The PCB contact shape is very important to how different companies D-Pads respond to different movements, and how sensitive/accurate they are.

This is the same issue that affected the Xbox 360 controllers D-pad as described here:-
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?/topic/652694-360-controller-d-pad-issues/
Here are some comparison pictures by RDC which shows what happens when you try to press 'up' on an Xbox Controller S and an Xbox 360 Controller, and accidentally press slightly to the 'right' aswell. One controller just registers 'up', but the other thinks you are pressing 'diagonal':-

Hopefully this helps explain why the Xbox 360 controllers D-Pad is too sensitive, and the same applies to the 8Bitdo controller. Microsoft eventually changed/fixed the D-pad contacts on later manufactured Xbox 360 controllers.

My hope is that maybe 8Bitdo can update their PCB designs so that the D-Pad contacts are the same as original Nintendo D-Pad contacts? (and maybe if 8Bitdo ever make a Sega Gamepad they can use Sega's D-Pad contacts!)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-12-19 13:35:39
| Show all posts
Edited by jackal27 at 2016-12-19 13:37

I am bumping this thread again. I made an account just to make this post.

This issue makes this controller unusable for me. I bought an NES30 PRO and was really excited for this controller probably more than I have been for any I've ever bought, but was disappointed to find that despite being a top notch controller the NES30 PRO fails at the one thing it needs to do: have excellent control inputs. Everything discussed here is right on the money, but there is one added problem with this controller as well.

It's buttons and Dpad are MUCH too hard to press in. One of the best things about the NES and SNES controllers was how light their buttons felt to press, but the NES30 PRO (the only one I have experience with) feels like it requires more than double the pressure of those original controllers it's meant to emulate. I've been using official NES and SNES controllers for over 20 years now. I know how they function and this is not it. I find it impossible to even play modern games with this.

That combined with the awful Dpad make this controller a complete waste of my $40 as it stands. I could never play a game with this. I am beyond disappointed...

Please 8Bitdo. Do right by your customers and fix these issues.You have the potential to have the best bluetooth controllers on the market!
Reply Support 2 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2017-04-13 15:11:12
| Show all posts
Even the NES30 Pro Macintosh limited edition has the same issue... 8bitdo god damnit ! This pad is broken by design.
Reply Support 1 Not support 0

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-06-12 23:20:43
| Show all posts
In my opinion, SFC30 controller should be made to behave like the original super nintendo controller.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2017-02-18 03:46:12
| Show all posts
Edited by ruckage at 2017-02-18 03:47

I joined the forums just to add my voice to this topic.  I have the NES30 and the d-pad makes many game virtually unplayable (games such as Contra and Pac-man are good examples).  It's really disappointing, the controller isn't cheap and I was expecting an experience equivalent to the original controller.  I can't understand how such an oversight was made - they could have just copied the contacts from the original controllers and this would never have been an issue.

I can't fathom how putting electrical tape there helps in any way.

I tend to agree, I also can't see how this fix could work - the only way I can see it potentially working is if you partially cover each contact but then it will most likely also affect the the general responsiveness of the d-pad

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2017-01-20 07:31:55
| Show all posts
Here is the image of the fix I implemented on my pair of SNES30 controllers.
It took a little trial and error to figure out the right amount, and location of the tape. I found that if you overlapped two passes in the middle it made the D-pad pretty unresponsive. For an extra-robust solution you can actually overlap the corner of the contacts a bit, but that will limit your ability to down/right and down/left.

Honestly the amount shown here works for me and I'm pretty ham-fisted. I tested the solution with jstest on retropie - it's perfect for mashing on the controller and checking for ghost presses. I hope this helps.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2017-01-10 02:46:09
| Show all posts
Bumping this too to show support. It's a real shame that this issue totally ruin the fun for a lot of games.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-11-03 00:16:01
| Show all posts
Yes indeed Contra III is a great exemple showing this flaw.
It's practically unplayable on real hardware + SFC30.
Or any game in the Bomberman series really.

I would certainly buy a new SFC30 too if they copied exactly the original DPad carbon traces.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-09-28 19:29:52
| Show all posts
So I bought one of these SFC30 and (of course) I can't agree more with Link83.

While I can pull 10x Dragon Punch in a row with original corded SNES controller, I can't for the life of me pull 2 consecutively with the SFC30, it's horrible.

I'm playing on real SFC hardware with SFC30 and Retro Receiver, all latest firwmare.
My SFC30 was manufactured August 2016 and came with fw 2.68 so I'm pretty sure I got the latest hardware revision.

The Dpad (diagonals) is indeed too sensitive because of the contacts layout, no doubts about it.

There is a reason the original Nintendo SFC pad has different contact layouts for the Dpad versus ABXY Buttons, it is precisely to avoid diagonals being triggered unexpectedly.

I don't really understand how so much care was put in the design of the SFC30 and yet such a crucial aspect (Dpad contact traces) was mishandled.

Certainly a lot of people don't care about these details but for those (of us) who do, it would make a huge difference to the Dpad precision we expect from a SFC pad.

And it really seems like a trivial thing to do..
So 8Bitdo, please seriously consider redesigning your PCB, thank you.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-06-27 23:08:24
| Show all posts
Thanks for the tear-down and info. I was getting ready to buy one of these, but not with the D-pad being like this.
This would have been a replacement for a controller with the same problem.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-06-17 08:57:05
| Show all posts
Edited by pickaxe at 2016-06-17 09:13
8Bitboy 2016-06-12 19:49
In fact, what everyone says are justified.
The DPads of Xbox 360 controllers and 8Bitdo's controller ...

Have you ever used the directional pad on an Xbox 360 controller before?  As someone who has been playing fighting games for well over 2 decades I've never seen a worse controller for such a purpose.  

I assumed wrongly that your controllers that borrow heavily from hardware designs of yesteryear were trying to emulate the feel of those original designs.  Your clarification has further solidified my view that I have no interest in using any of your products.  Thank you for the insight.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrator

Credits
Post time: 2015-07-14 01:36:29
| Show all posts
Thanks for your suggestion!
I will give your suggestion to our hardware designer.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-05-17 19:03:54
| Show all posts
Has the D-Pad PCB been updated according to this post ?  If I buy a new SFC30 now, will it still have this issue ?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-05-18 19:07:47
| Show all posts
I am also interested in buying another SFC30 with this fix. The SFC30 feels completely perfect, but the diagonals are far too sensitive. Fix this, and the SFC30/SNES30 will be an almost perfect controller. (And even better when there's a SNES Retro Receiver.)

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-05-19 22:34:57
| Show all posts
Any response ?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-05-20 13:21:42
| Show all posts
Yeah, the D-Pad is terrible. I don't know if it was the same with the original SNES controller, but with 8bitdo it's way too easy to press diagonals by accident.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-05-21 14:24:31
| Show all posts
push

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-05-23 13:34:13
| Show all posts
Push !!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-05-24 11:19:34
| Show all posts
Push

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
Post time: 2016-05-26 02:47:16
| Show all posts
The current 8Bitdo's gamepads still have this issue.  Confirmed.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register

Points Rules

Archive|Mobile|Dark room|8bitdo.com  

2017-05-22 13:14 GMT-8 , Processed in 0.073185 sec., 18 queries .